Friday, February 4, 2011

Full World - Full Life

It wasn’t the best night, but it was a damn good day. I met a older man, Alex. He owns the jewelry store I visited this afternoon. I was there to sell my wedding ring set. It’s been seven years since the dissolve of my marriage - I think it’s now safe to assume I won’t again wear the ring. He advised me on what the very “flawed” diamond was worth, and we moved on to other topics. In no time at all, I found myself engrossed in an hour-long conversation with Alex about the world: languages, cultures, politics. He was born and raised in Georgia, which I learned today borders Russia and Turkey, but he has lived here in the U.S. for much of his adult life and has visited many countries - and I dare not leave out the fact that Alex is fluent in four languages. I was very happy to offer any bits to the conversation that I could, keeping in mind that while the majority of my friend-base is not American, I have only ever visited three countries in my entire 35 years of life. I was thrilled to learn about his experiences and gain some insight. I asked question after question. The conversation ended on the topic of the increasing non-domestic violent crime in our historically sleepy town. We theorized that the economy had a lot to do with it. I left his “mom and pop” jewelry store vowing to return to “buy” and not “sell” jewelry in the not-too-distant future. I had a bounce in my step and a smile on my face as I pushed through the glass door and walked across the parking lot to my car.

In the late afternoon, I found myself in another substantial conversation with my sister’s boyfriend, Tyler. This conversation’s content was wholly different from the one earlier with Alex. If forced to, I might put this title to Tyler’s and my conversation: “Theorizing on One Human Psyche.” The butt of the title shall remain genderless and nameless. While the conversation was in fact about one person, there seemed to be a more general sub-topic: “the essentiality of intellectual growth.” Good conversation invariably leaves me feeling invigorated and alive. I very much enjoy conversations with Tyler and Sarah. Their insight and love of inquisition suggest much more than 25- and 28-years of life. I learn from their opinions all the time.

In between the two fulfilling conversations, the day was sprinkled with other positive elements. I helped mom with finding and printing football pools, and finding and purchasing Sherry Vinegar for the Shallot dipping sauce, for the Super Bowl party she’s hosting on Sunday. I completed a Spanish lesson; I practiced piano; I researched what I hope will be my new career, and I talked with my son about his career path and the short-term goals we have set for him.

The evening lacked conversation and laughter and love, but the day more than made up for it.

In closing, I have this thought to share: In “real” communication, there is love.

No comments: